Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I want to leave a legacy...

I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me
And I enjoy an accolade like the rest
You could take my picture and hang it in a gallery
Of all who's who and so-n-so's that used to be the best
At such'n'such ... it wouldn't matter much
I won't lie, it feels alright to see my name up in lights

We all need an 'Atta boy' or 'Atta girl'
But in the end I'd like to hang my hat on more besides
The temporary trappings of this world
I want to leave a legacy

How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love?
Did I make a mark on things?

I want to leave an offering
And leave that kind of legacy

Legacy by Nichole Nordeman

When I first heard this song I was challenged by the message it sent, the questions it arouse: How will they remember me? Did I leave a mark on things? Did I choose to love? Did I leave that kind of legacy?

That is a pretty powerful and thought provoking message. It makes me wonder what kind of a legacy I am choosing to leave. Everyday of my life is yet another opportunity to add to the legacy that my existence is building. It is the legacy that will be left when I am gone from this world. Will I be remembered OR will the Savior and King be remembered? That is important question for all to ask themselves. Its this question that nails me, causing me to ask this question:

-What is my purpose and heart motive in doing good, being kind, reaching out, making good impressions?

I have to decide every morning I wake up - Will I live my life today in a way that people will remember me or the God who made me? Am I going to intentionally make a mark of someone's life today, or am I going to intentionally reach out in a way that 20 years from now - people will look back and forget me yet remember the Lord and his sovereign, divine work in their lives. His work is lasting, eternal, and the only legacy that will truly last.

You may ask, "how do you plan on accomplishing this, Misha?"

I say, by depending on the Holy Spirit to lead me to opportunities where I may play a part in affecting someone's life in a God-centered and God-glorifying way. Do something for another person that is counter cultural: heavenly.

Here is a challenge: The next time you are in the drive thru of Starbucks - buy the latte for the car behind you, choosing to use the money which God generously provided for you to show impartial, anonymous, God glorifying love to a stranger. - Now who are they going to thank?

Hopefully not you....

1 comment:

  1. Recognizion is really important. It can really motivate your followers! Great feedback! You really got a lot of of the course!
    Great blog feedback

    Erin

    ReplyDelete