Saturday, February 9, 2008

Opportunity lost

Last week we were handed an opportunity to lead and make a difference, and I did not take advantage of it! I lost the opportunity. Truthfully, I don't believe that I would have recognized it as a real opportunity until the possibility was made so clear.

I was disappointed in myself. Therefore, I think Feinberg's strategy worked on me. Am I glad that I didn't take advantage of the opportunity to be a leader? The answer is yes and no. No, because I miss out on making a difference. Yes, because now I have experienced the ache of opportunity lost and I'll never forget that feeling.

I believe I will be looking at my opporunties much differently from here on out. I am thankful for that.

2 comments:

  1. I like what you said about how you are and you are not glad that you didn't take advantage of the opportunity given to you to be a leader. That's exactly how I felt, too. And I feel like that is exactly the way Dr. Feinberg wanted us to feel, or at least those of us who didn't take advantage of the opportunity. Like you said, we did miss out on a chance to make a difference, but on the other hand, we let Dr. Feinberg's point get across through feeling the loss of a great opportunity.

    Opportunities to make a difference arise for us everyday, big and small. Sometimes they are as small as holding the door for someone as we enter a building or smiling at someone as we make eye contact while walking past one another. You never know when something small could make a BIG difference in someone's day. Opportunities also arise for you to make a difference in your own life now and then. I hate to admit it in public but I have seen more than a few episodes of The Hills on MTV. And one particular event that stands out in my mind as someone passing up an amazing opportunity to benefit themsleves than when Lauren (the main character) passes up an opportunity to spend the summer in Paris for her job. She has regretted it ever since because she knows that it would have made a huge difference in her future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good to understand the value of oppurtunity. I feel that this comment has a great deal of insight. Knowing it is just as powerful to have missed the the opportunity to be a leader to forever learn the concept of opportunity is great.

    ReplyDelete