Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Sow Grace

I was snooping around in Hannah's bag of books that she brought back from the Gospel Coalition last night and came across a book entitled, Note to Self: The Discipline of Preaching to Yourself by Joe Thorn. Its a RE:LIT book. AND I just read that he is the pastor of Redeemer Fellowship in St. Charles, IL!! Hey! that is close to us!

When I read the title I was like, "humm, I need this." I cracked it open to the a chapter called Sow Grace ... and let me tell ya, it was convicting and true. I hope this is decent blogger edict because I am about to quote it. I am assuming it is allowed to quote an author, as long as I give due credit... and lets be real here, I could never come up with stuff like this myself. So lets give a HUGE thanks to Joe Thorn for writing this book and helping guide us in the practice of preaching to ourselves! Here is an excerpt from his book Note To Self.

Dear Self,
You should be sowing more grace. You should be more generous with your time, money and gifts. The people around you, especially those who are unfriendly or even cross, need grace. Consider how often you give what you think is justice- that is, what you think people deserve. You tip less for bad service, ignore people who have snubbed you, or sigh and roll your eyes at the person taking up to much room at the coffee house. You may not be doing evil, but you are not doing good.
Ask yourself, "Am I a person of grace, or a person of karma?" Do people see in me a principle of 'you get what you deserve,' or 'what goes around comes around'?" If this is true of you, then people won't see Christ in you but will get a good does of false religion. Such principles are already commonly understood in our culture, but the gospel principle of giving the good another does not deserve- that is different.
God calls you to love justice and demonstrate mercy. Jesus commanded his followers to live generously and offer grace to their enemies. Why are you offering less to those around you- to those God has sent you to as his ambassador? Perhaps because it is easier to aim at what you call justice? But such feelings are self-righteous, and acting as judge only feeds your ego. You were not made for this; you were made for the glory of God and the good of others.
What you need to consider therefore is that God commands you to live generously because he is gracious. He commands you to be patient and merciful because such things find their beginning in him. And you not only know him, but you know his grace. God has extended mercy to you, blessing and forgiving you when you deserved much less. As a child of God, represent you Father well by showing grace. Sow it.
{page 75-76, Note to Self by Joe Thorn}

I can't wait to read the whole book! Now just need to quite blogger during peak reading hours so I can accomplish my ever growing reading list. It is becoming a very daunting list!

1 comment:

  1. hey misha, thank you for posting this....i SO needed to hear it. that sounds like an amazing book; one that i need to add to my growing reading list as well! :)

    ReplyDelete