Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Participation

Participation in what?

Well remember a couple posts ago, when I was talking about how we are all called to participate in adoption? Well, after rereading that.. and a friends comment, I realized that I might have come across really strong. I get so incredibly passionate about adoption that sometimes I can unintentionally push my passion onto others.. Thankfully God doesn't hold it against me, and I hope you don't either! Still love me?

Now, my friend commented on the true facts that we are not all necessarily called to adopt a child - but we are all called to participate in one way or another. Totally true. I think I made it sound like you were not obeying James 1:27 if you were not in the process of seeking adoption - I apologize for that the most! I am thankful that Katie kindly encouraged me to write a post on ways we can participate in orphan care... because like she mentioned, there are SO many ways to be involved!

Lets start with adoption itself. Some of you may be feeling the nudge towards adoption, that's great! With some 300,000 churches in America, if just one family from each church would adopt just one child in the US, there would be no need for foster care and orphanages here. There would literally be more families waiting to adopt than there would be children in need in America. Wow! So as far as resources go: Jonathan and I are planning to go through Bethany Christian Services - they are a christian adoption agency and we love their mission statement. They do domestic (USA) and international adoptions, with locations all over the states. We are obviously going to be working with the Chicago branch. For more adoption agencies look on the Together For Adoption website, they are listed on the right hand sidebar.

You may feel that you are supposed to adopt but given certain life seasons, it isn't possible right now.. or you don't feel called to adopt but do find yourself urged to financially support those families on the journey towards adoption. This is just as important in the call to care for orphans. It is a behind the scenes NEED - when adoption can range from $20-30,000! I know that so many amazing christian couples would adopt at the drop of a hat, but due to financial restraint.. simply cannot right now. So, here is an opportunity to steward your money in a way that responds to the call to care for orphans in their distress. This is so important. You know, we are the body of Christ and the in order to do this we need the hands and the feet, the eyes and the ears!

Romans 12:4-6 "For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us..."

If you are graced financially, be faithful. If you are looking for a place to start... allow me to get you started :)
Be encouraged by this video in your care for the orphaned and widowed:



Other ways you can help financially would be to give to families that you know, who are raising funds for their adoption. Like Katie's family! Their most recent fund raising endeavor is the Already Love You esty store. Friends, seriously... this is CUTE stuff. I already ordered Davin this awesome, full coverage bib! I would post a picture, but I don't have it in my hand yet. But you can see some like it here. My favorite things by far are the nursing covers - even though I was only able to nurse Davin for a few weeks, I speak from experience when I say: BEST COVER EVER. Because it actually covers :) They are nice and big...full coverage mommas with a bowed neck so you can see what the heck you are doing and did I mention really cute? Anyway, all the revenue goes directly into their adoption fund. This is a great way to give financially, and you will benefit with some cute stuff too. By the way, did I already say the stuff is cute?

And one more way to participate in orphan care is by coming along side those families you know who are adopting. It is not easy to raise money, step out in faith that God will provide for what he has called them to, or go through all the ups and downs of adding another child to the family. Pray for these friends. Be involved in their adoption journey. Ask questions. Love on their children, adopted and biological. Watch their kiddos while they go to get papers done at the court house or get passports done. Pass along helpful resources to them, like adoption fund information or encouraging books on process. Community is so important whether it be in adoption, raising kids, keeping a marriage healthy, or growing in your walk with God.

Phew... of course, as always, there is so much more I could type - but I have been working on this post for so long now that I better wait to write more on a later post !

Thank you and good night ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment